1.05.2009

Goal Setting 101

OK, it's a few days into the new year so everyone has had time to get into the swing of 2009! Time to get those New Year's resolutions off to a proper start!

Hopefully you have an idea of what you would like to accomplish, if not start there (see previous post)! Next break these big goals down to small realistic and attainable goals. Working these little bits into your daily life consistently is the key to success!

A few things to think about...

-If you are aiming to lose weight this year, a goal of losing two pounds a week is a good target. Losing more than that per week is one difficult and two potentially hazardous.

-Pick a target weight or caloric intake that is optimal for you and your body type. If you are 5'10", 110 lbs is not where you want to be! Once again, be reasonable

-Living a balanced healthy life requires a healthy diet, daily exercise, and "me time" for personal growth and development (includes reading, meditating, prayer, etc). These three elements need to be worked into your plan. Not one or two of them, all three of them.

A good chunk of the afflictions we all suffer from come from a series of long standing bad habits. The hardest part about bad habits is that they are difficult to change. That is why all three elements of a balanced life must be incorporated into our daily lives even if we force them in.

I was told a long time ago that if you do something 21 times in a row it becomes habit. I don't know if that is true, but I did test this theory when I was younger. I was horrible about flossing and my dentist never tired of reminding me that I needed to pick up the habit. I decided I was going to make myself floss for 21 days straight. For me it was a time issue. By the time I was ready for bed, that's all I wanted to do...go to bed. Most nights I patted myself of the back for brushing my teeth before turning in! For 21 days I dipped into my snooze time to make sure I flossed. The result? Well, it worked. I am not saying that in 21 days you can transform you life, but I do believe that you can make a substantial dent in those bad habits and instill some strength is those good habits.

As mentioned above, when you are setting your goals be realistic and attainable. Also, make your goals measurable Ex: I want to lose 10 pounds and be able to run 1 mile in 8 minutes by May 1st. NOT, I want to lose weight and exercise more. This makes it much easier to break the goals down into smaller weekly and daily goals. A little bit every day adds up quickly and can bring about great changes!

Good luck in your goal setting! Check back for easy and affordable tips to get you eating healthier and get a start on exercising!

No comments: